Chef - Madaelene Bonvini-Hamel and Ross Pike
Ark of Taste Product - Stichelton Cheese
Producer - Stichelton Dairy
Madalene and Ross had already submitted one recipe with the Stichelton (a beautiful cauliflower soup), but they loved the cheese so much they sent this one through too! Sweet butternut squash combined with a good helping of cream, and of course the Stichelton make for a stunning accompaniment to grilled chicken, pork chops or braised beef shin.
– Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease an 18cm rectangular oven dish with butter, set aside.
– In a large saucepan over low heat sweat the sliced onions and garlic in the butter with seasoning for about 5 – 8 minutes, cover the pan with a lid and stir regularly.
– Once the onions are transparent and soft but not coloured add the sliced butternut squash, mix and add the cream. Cover the pan with a lid, increase the heat to medium and bring the cream to the boil. Once boiling, remove the pan from the heat, adjust the seasoning if needed.
– Layer the butternut squash, onions and cream in the greased oven dish and sprinkle some of the crumbed Stichelton between the layers, keep half of the cheese for the top. Complete the layers and press the butternut down, pour all the cream from the pan over the butternut and scatter the remaining crumbed cheese over the top.
– Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown and the butternut squash is cooked through.