Chef - Ian McAndrew
Producer - Golspie Mill
Ark of Taste Product - Peasemeal
Some things in life are the simplest. Here chef Ian McAndrew partners with Sutherland based Michael Shaw to create a homely soda bread, using the finest Scottish ingredients.
– Set the oven to 220°C/gas 8
– Weigh all the dry ingredients and place into a mixing bowl.
– Weigh the treacle and add to the dry ingredients
Do not continue until your oven is hot because as soon as the bicarb comes in contact with the buttermilk it will start to work so the shorter the time between mixing and putting it in the oven the better!
– Mix all the ingredients together with your fingers and form into a dough.
– Turn out onto the work surface and mix together well to form a soft shallow round loaf about 4 – 5 cm thick. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
– Place onto a baking sheet and score the top into 8 equal sections.
– Dust with a little wholemeal flour and place into the oven for 25 minutes.
– To test if it is cooked turn the loaf over and tap the bottom; if it sounds hollow it is ready, if not return it to the oven for a few more minutes. Depending upon your oven it normally cooks in 25 – 35 minutes.
– Once cooked place on a wire rack to cool before eating.
Best eaten within a few hours of making the bread.