Chef - Alessandro Grano
Ark of Taste Products - Einkorn Flour and Somerset Cheddar
Producer - Doves Farm
Alessandro is our cheese expert, and at his shop/restaurant Androuet, he stocks all our Ark of Taste cheeses. But though he was familiar with Somerset Cheddar, this was Alessandro's first experience working with Einkorn flour. Looking at the result, you wouldn't have thought it.
– Finely dice the onion and put in a pan with the wine and butter. Cook on a gentle heat until all the wine hass evaporated and the onion has a nice golden colour.
– Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water.
– Sift and combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
– Add the yeast mix to the bowl and with your finger mix the dough until all the ingredients are combined.
– Add the confit onion and slowly incorporate.
– Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to proof for 10-12 hours in a dark place. (The time of proofing depend of the temperature of the room)
– After this time, add the grated cheddar and transfer the mix into a prepared baking tin (Greased and lined with grease-proof paper).
– Cover with a piece of wet baking parchment and leave for another 30-45 minutes.
– In the meantime, preheat the oven to 220°C.
– Place the bread in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. After this period, reduce the temperature to 180°C and continue to bake the bread for other 30 minutes.
– When ready (Golden and springy to the touch), remove from the oven and let cool before slicing.
Recommended serving with picalilly, cold meat or cheese!