Chef - Anna Hansen
Ark of Taste Product - Cornish Saffron Cake
This is the chance to create your very own Ark of Taste product. Anna gives us her interpretation of the traditional Cornish Saffron Cake; light, spiced and dotted with fruit, the cake is a perfect addition to any high tea. Try with a little whey butter and some medlar jelly for a real forgotten food mouthful!
– Preheat the oven to 180°C, and grease and line a cake/loaf tin with some greaseproof paper.
– Sift all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
– Add the currents and mix to combine.
– In a seperate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and leave to stand for 5 minutes or so to allow the saffron to give some colour.
– Carefully combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
– Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the surface a little. Dot with butter, sprinkle with demerara sugar and place in the oven.
– Bake for approx. 40 minutes, until risen and golden.