Chef - Roger Jones
Ark of Taste Product - The Shropshire Prune Damson
Producer - Catherine Moran
Three elegant and lavish desserts in one. Crisp, quaint macaroons combined with an indulgent chocolate sandwich, all washed down with a devilish damson martini. Damsons have never tasted so good!
– Soak 500g damsons in a bottle of gin for one year.
– To make the martini, place one or two soaked damsons in glass and add a healthy slurp of the damson gin with a dash of Blackwood English Vermouth.
– Gently melt 250g of white chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over barely simmering water. Once completely melted and smooth, pour out onto a marble slab. With a palet knife thinly spread the chocolate mix out, ensure that it is even all over. Allow to set before carefully cutting into sandwich style triangles.
– For the filling cook 250g of stoned damsons with the rhubarb liquor (if using), 50g of sugar and half a vanilla pod, on a gentle heat until the fruit is soft. Blend in a food processor and chill. Once cold, combine with some of the whipped cream to make a pink creamy filling.
– Pipe the mixture onto one of the chocolate sandwiches. Place another triangle on top. Repeat.
– Preheat the oven to 150°C.
– Place egg whites in a bowl with a pinch of salt and mix with electric mixer until stiff. Slowly add the caster sugar, whisking continuous until well combined.
– Add the blackberry powder and continue to mix for a further 20 seconds.
– Sift the ground almonds and icing sugar and salt twice, discarding any almond lumps that are too big to pass through the sieve.
– Fold into the egg white mixture, which should be smooth and a very viscous, not runny.
– Pipe onto trays lined with baking paper.
– Rap the trays on the bench firmly (this prevents cracking) and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
– Check if one comes off the tray fairly cleanly, if not bake for a little longer.
(For more guidance to making Macaroons, please view this video)
– For the filling mixture place 100g of stoned damsons with 50ml of stock syrup and 50ml of damson gin in a heavy based pan. Bring to the boil and reduce.
– Blend and whisk in an egg yolk, allow to cool.
– Pipe the mix onto one of the Macaroon bases, before covering with another Macaroon half. Repeat.